Intensive Lighting Seminar
Next Date: TBA
Guy Jordan conducts his one-day lighting seminar for photographers in his Port Richmond Studio on select Saturdays from 9 to 5.
This exciting opportunity includes a morning instructional session and an afternoon of hands-on shooting with models and lighting in a fully equipped photo studio.
Who is this course for?
- Portrait and event photographers who want to either add professional strobe lighting to their mix, or who desire to refine their understanding of studio techniques.
- Talented hobbyists who want to take their photography to another level.
- Freelancers who want to set themselves above the competition.
- People whose job asks or requires them to take professional quality headshots or group pictures.
- Photographers considering starting a business.
What are the requirements?
- A digital camera, preferably an SLR or mirrorless system camera, with a standard hot shoe (Sony/Minolta shooters will need an adapter) and the capability to shoot using manual settings.
- A basic understanding of camera settings.
- A willingness to learn.
What will you learn?
- The morning session will cover how to meter and set proper exposure, ensure correct color, and operate studio strobe setups. Although many of the concepts also work for continuous (hot) lights, this seminar is geared to professional grade flash lighting. Topics covered in strobe use include how to control the quality, color, direction, and depth of light, as well as how to shape light and create setups that set the look, mood, and effects you desire. We will also cover topics such as preparing your camera and lenses for studio shooting and how to hire, release, and work with models, as well as how to work with paying clients.
- The afternoon session will feature hands-on shooting with male and female models. Each participant will take a turn shooting the subjects and experimenting with various setups. Advice will be offered on how to achieve the lighting you want, from expressive to dramatic to glamourous or anywhere in between.
What this course does not feature:
- Annoying inspirational rants.
- Blatant advertisements for certain brands of equipment.
- A huge audience.
- An instructor who is more a celebrity photographer than a teacher.
- Each attendee will receive a booklet with highlights from the morning session, as well as a lined notebook for recording their lighting setups.
- Participants may submit their images to an online site for comments and ask questions.
- Everyone who takes the class receives discounts on rental of the studio.
Price: just $199 ($179 for members of local photo organizations), payable via PayPal.
Refund policy: Full refunds will be issued to those who cancel at least three weeks in advance of seminar date, minus a $20 processing fee. Half refunds (minus fee) will be given for cancellations at least 10 days prior to class. No refund will be issued within 10 days of event date unless the slot is subsequently filled. Your reservation can be assigned to another person without any fee being charged. If Guy Jordan Photography must cancel the seminar for any reason, full refunds will be issued to all.